How To Clean Windows AC (Incl. Helpful Tips)danimaidfeed_7gepy3
The addition of devices and equipment adds comfort to the room experience.
One such item is called an air conditioner.
Air conditioners provide cool air or warm air inside the property.
No matter what brand or model you intend to install, ACs need routine cleaning.
Guarantee clean air going through your space, know how to clean windows ac effectively.
The first air conditioner units that may come to mind are ACs with window casements.
Air conditioners have many types and have corresponding proper installations.
There are wall-mounted units with separate outdoor cooling and heating systems.
Ensure that all parts of the AC are in clean condition before turning them on.
You’ll need to clean some individual components of the air conditioner properly; this guarantees that you’re not breathing in air with fine dust particles.
Windows air conditioner unit
A windows air conditioner unit is a bulky device.
It’s usually cubic and needs an opening inside the room for placement.
Most homes have a rectangular cut-out on the window to place the AC.
It can be tricky to take out the heavy device from its casement for a cleaning.
Be careful if you intend to take the AC out of its casement.
You may damage the parts of the unit.
One of the essential parts of the AC is a filter.
The filter accumulates dirt and dust over time.
Without regular filter cleaning, you might end up inhaling particles from the AC.
It’s not uncommon for molds and allergens to build in the filter.
Reduce the occurrence of allergic reactions by knowing how to clean a window air conditioner filter.
Follow the following steps.
- Turn off the window air conditioner and unplug it from its wall socket.
- Pop open the covers of the filter in front. The filter is usually beside the cool air return of the unit. Other AC filters are behind the cool air return, at the back of the unit.
- Determine the type of filter the AC unit uses. Some filters of the AC are water-friendly. Other filters need replacements to function well. Refer to your manual to know the kind of filter you have in your AC.
- Using a hand vacuum, remove the dust and dirt on the filters. Get rid of the large build-ups first. You will have an easier time with smaller dirt later on. For water-friendly filters, wash down the filter on a large basin or container. Submerge the filter in an equal parts solution of vinegar and water. You can also try using a dish soap solution or a detergent mix.
- Leave the filter submerged in the solution for an hour.
- Rinse the filter and dry it before reattaching.
The Styrofoam or EPS of an AC bridges the gap within the air conditioner casement.
Its job is to ensure no open spaces in the unit; gaps require the air conditioner to work harder and increase the power bills.
Another issue you’ll encounter can come from the molds in the EPS.
Follow the necessary steps on how to clean a window air conditioner Styrofoam.
- Turn off the AC and unplug it from its socket.
- Open the AC case by unscrewing the screws in the covers.
- Take out the EPS (Expanded Polystyrene) from inside the AC.
- Wash down the Styrofoam in a large basin using a cleaning solution. There are industrial cleaners or multipurpose cleaning products to take away dirt.
- Rinse the Styrofoam properly to take out all the dirt.
- Dry the Styrofoam and reattach it inside the AC case.
Wall air conditioner unit
There are two working parts for the wall air conditioner.
Front units are on the walls of the room.
On the other hand, the back unit is somewhere outside your home.
Nevertheless, you don’t have to worry.
There is still a way to get a thorough clean without sacrificing clean air quality.
The best method on how to clean air conditioner wall unit is using spray solutions.
Spray products are your best friend in cleaning wall ACs.
- Turn off the AC and unplug it from the wall socket.
- Take out the front panel covers of the AC and clean the filters.
- Vacuum the inside parts of the wall AC. Include all parts inside of the AC to avoid quicker dust build-ups.
- Using a cleaning solution in a spray bottle, spray inside the air conditioner. A mold and mildew spray solution prevents mold growth inside the unit.
- Go to the back unit of the AC and use a cleaning solution. You can use a detergent solution or multipurpose cleaner to wash all the parts. Rinse afterward.
- Let both units dry before plugging them back and turning on the AC.
In some instances, the window air conditioner may be like a wall mount unit.
You can’t take it out of its position.
What you can do is spray Lysol in window air conditioner.
It can give the AC a temporary clean.
There are many ways on how to clean windows AC.
One of the most common questions asked is, “can you hose down a window air conditioner?” The answer is YES.
Hosing down the parts takes out the dirt faster.
Just make sure to let all the components dry before assembling them back together.
It’s best to take apart the air conditioner so you can clean it properly.
Find more useful guides and how to’s on MaidFeed.com, your everyday cleaning guide.